Friday, June 21, 2013

Just a SWEET kinda day

So today is the day I officially start on drakes cake.. Kinda, I have just started preparing for it. First I started with the frosting, I've always loved trying to make new homemade things. 
The best part?? This was all I used! So it was super simple:) But there's a problem I have making the frosting, I don't like the taste of frosting. So when I finished with it, I wasn't sure if it tasted good or not, so I had my husband test it for me to see if it passes the test. He loved it! So I'm very happy that it turned out good, and it was so much cheaper than buying pre-made frosting! 
Although I do feel like its still thin, I'm very happy I went this route, I saved so much, especially with how much I require! I still have to add my green food coloring but that'll come later on when I'm done layering my cake:) 
Now that I'm set on the frosting, it was time to start on the decoration letters! That was a lot harder than I expected. It kinda looks like a 2 year old made it but at least you can read it! 
What I did: 
. Melted white chocolate chips with coconut oil in the microwave 30 sec. At a time until its melted enough to mold.
. Add food coloring of your choice (I chose orange because of my theme, Dr. Seuss)
My chocolate came out thicker than I had planned once I added food coloring but I would just work the chocolate with my fingers to soften it up so I was able to start molding it.
Then it all came down to using my stencil I had drawn up.
I made the mistake of not making sure each individual letter was a good distance from each other so my chocolate would be easier to work with. I had a hard time with it. But what you do is get a saying or whatever it is you want to make an place a sheet of wax paper over it so and use it as a stencil. Make sure you tape it the wax paper or you'll have a harder time. Then just let it dry and harden. I'm very pleased with my days work and I can't wait for tomorrow to start on my cakes! But first it'll be off to Vernal (a town 30min from the little town I live in) in the early morning for some simple grocery shopping with my hubby and son! So for now you all have a great night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment